Monday, January 2, 2012

Hope

I lay in my bed dreaming of ruby on rails codes when the light turned on and my sleep was disturbed. It was New Year’s Eve and the sun was rising. My breath smelled horrible as it does when I first wake up, and the urge to grab some coffee overcomes me. Staring at the window, drinking my coffee, it dawns on me, I am still unemployed. Since my informal emancipation from my parents at the age of 16, I have had a few jobs but lately I haven’t been working. I am broke, beyond the economic jargon, and it is through this experience that I realize that in this life, it’s never what you know and always who you know. Whether or not that statement is a fact really does not matter to me. This is my personal experience and observation. Even today I am challenging this idea. I am told from family, friends, mentors and public figures, “Get a good education, work hard and you will get a good job”. Since this is one thing I have yet to achieve I decided to study computer sciences. Not only because this is a subject have I had a passion for but also because it is challenging and evolving. It takes a very smart individual to get a certificate in this subject. I want to prove to myself whether or not education trumps network. I am extremely frustrated with the infinite job hunt and getting shot down repeatedly. If there are people out there truly willing to help people like me I want to meet them.

No comments:

Post a Comment