Monday, January 2, 2012

My Geeky Winter Break

Over the winter break I have gotten plenty of rest. It felt very nice to catch up on rest that I have lost over time. I feel like a brand new man and I am full of energy. In a previous blog I wrote about how I would take advantage of my downtime for what it was. I definitely feel positive results from this. Apart from sleeping until my heart is content, I caught up on my favorite T.V. shows, did homework, clean installed windows on my sister’s computer and did a lot of web surfing. When my sister was away from home at work, I did a ton of machine maintenance and installed anti-virus. I discovered that there are viruses that install themselves into your web browser and I had to remove one shortly after the clean install. The virus came from a download that was installed in the machine. From this I learned that when you install something from the web, even if you run a customized install, you never actually know what you are allowing into your machine. After removing the malware virus, I discovered www.codeschool.com. I noticed before I went on my break that the LCC students at my school were using this web application to learn web scripting languages. The website offered free easy to understand courses where I get to practice my scripts and see what the results are from my writing. I haven’t finished any of the courses yet but I definitely will be using this website during most of my downtime from now on until I finish all of them. I am excited to get back to school and finish my third module. There isn’t much time left in Year Up’s learning and development phase. While this course has been one of the most challenging I have taken yet, it seems to me that it went by very quickly. I think I am having fun with this.

2 comments:

  1. Raul, I really liked your post. I don't think it was geeky, it was cool. It was also informative, and showed that you carried on with tech related things over the break. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very well put, It was good to see you enjoy your break. What I would recommend is double check your grammar errors. Good job and it was funny.

    ReplyDelete