Thursday, September 15, 2011

The Language of Survival.

I am an individual that like most people adapt language to my current setting. I do this involuntarily now that I am older but this is a trait I absolutely HAVE to display. I have spoken many dialects in the English language due to the constant traveling in recent years. One thing I have noticed from all this is that proper English, professional English, and formal English are greatly despised among most of society. I have been labeled many derogatory things and even physically assaulted for "sounding like a white person". The world has made it very clear to me that most of it would prefer I drop the big words, the grammatical structure, and just let my soul verbally express myself instead of standing behind the mask of a 1950's mindset of formality. Personally, I myself also despise remaining verbally stiff. I use my bad grammar and slang to relax my mind and speed up the flow of my speech. By doing so my mental capacity can focus on more thoughts such as the next few things to say. I am not stressed when I am allowed to speak freely. My financial fate and career shouldn't depend on saying things like "disgusting" over "gnarly" or "hello" over "wassup" but unfortunately it does. There is a lot more to this than social acceptance. By using a different dialect I have come to realize that I myself am putting up a language barrier. Instead of meeting on a "common ground" of what I view as stiff English. I find that it would be wiser and more polite to go around that and just learn new dialects. By learning new dialects I am allowing myself to communicate to more cultures. By communicating to more cultures I obtain understanding and social acceptance. Corporate America is full of A and B conversation. Stiff English can C its way out. By learning the dialect of the culture I am interacting with, I am more likely to build a better rapport than someone who is so formal they seem nonexistent or simply annoying. With that being said, I'm out. Deuces

2 comments:

  1. When you say that you were labeled "for sounding like a white person" are you referring specifically to your peers or to society in general. I'm asking because I know that people of our generation are sometimes cruel to those who speak or even dress differently than themselves.

    ReplyDelete