Tuesday, September 20, 2011

My Educational Background

I went to many high schools during the lower part of my education. Due to issues within my home and family I had no choice but to move from city to city. In doing so, I have obtained a very worldly view on the educational system and a crystal clear view of both a major opportunity divide and digital divide within the upbringing of our youth. I Begin my high school career with Alameda High School. To be honest I was not the best student attending and did not take full advantage of the opportunities I had available during that time. Alameda High was well funded, multicultural, tolerant, advanced, to put it shortly I would say a model school in the time I went. As time progressed I was forced to move to Contra Costa County where I attended a few different high schools. This is where I noticed a major difference in the educational system between cities. I began my schooling with Contra Costa Unified School District with Richmond High School. That place wasn’t a school at all. It was a war-zone. Flooded with gang violence, drugs, crime, I may have just gone to prison for part of my day. The school was not only despicable in my opinion but it was also underfunded which led to lowered test scores due to a lack of supplies and study material. Also, the teachers weren’t paid enough to be self-sufficient. My time attending that school posed a threat to my education and safety so I dropped out from that school. Upset that I wasted a year in the public school system for nothing I completely gave up on high school and getting my diploma. I dropped out with the intention of getting my GED and finding a full time job. With the assistance of Larkin Street Youth Services I managed to study for and obtain my GED.

No comments:

Post a Comment